MARION, Ind. – The Spring Arbor University men's cross country team opened up the 2016 season at the Indiana Wesleyan University Wildcat Twilight Invitational on Saturday. The Cougars finished in eighth place out of 11 teams competing in the event.
EVENT: IWU Wildcat Twilight Invitational
TEAM FINISH: 8th/11
TOTAL NUMBER OF RUNNERS: 142
NAIA RANKED TEAMS: No. 14 Taylor, No. 17 Indiana Wesleyan, #RV Bethel
LOCATION: Indiana Wesleyan University | Marion, Ind.
THE TEAM SCOREBOARD (TOP 5 TEAMS)
- Taylor – 43 points
- Bethel – 72 points
- Indiana Wesleyan – 81 points
- Trine – 105 points
- Goshen – 129 points
SPRING ARBOR TOP 7 RACE TIMES
- Daniel Garza (28:06 / 35th)
- Ian Fulton (28:10 / 38th)
- Sam Comden (28:34 / 51st)
- Jacob Hoppe (29:03 / 61st)
- Joshua Norton (29:43 / 78th)
- Logan Robart (30:12 / 86th)
- Jacob Fletcher (31:10 / 104th)
- The race began at 5:45 p.m. and it was in the mid-80's with high humidity.
- The top five Cougars finished with a 1:37 split.
- Six other Crossroads League teams ran at the IWU Twilight as the course will host the Crossroads League Championship later this season.
- Taylor (Ind.) won with 43 points while Bethel (Ind.) was runner-up at 72 points. Indiana Wesleyan placed third with 81 points.
QUOTES FROM HEAD COACH JEREMY SMITH
- "The men's team had a great team opener at IWU Friday. It was exciting to see how well our men worked together to go out reserved and cut their pace down."
- "Leading our Cougars was Dan Garza, our seasoned veteran. Stepping up big time was Ian Fulton, and I was also proud to see Joshua Norton close out our top 5 with a big race for him."
- "Our pack time was strong, so I'm excited to see them continue that trend. Moving forward, I'm excited to see our guys work together and continue to build their confidence in the 5-mile race."
- "I'm proud of the way our men represented God, their families, and SAU."
Spring Arbor will compete at the Michigan State University Spartan Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 16. The race is scheduled to start at 11:45 a.m. in East Lansing, Michigan.