HILLSDALE, Mich. – Senior Daniel Garza ran a season-best time to lead the Spring Arbor University men's cross country team at the Michigan Intercollegiate Championship, hosted by Hillsdale College, on Friday.
EVENT: Michigan Intercollegiate Championship (Hosted by Hillsdale College)
TEAM FINISH: 3rd/4
TOTAL NUMBER OF RUNNERS: 46
NAIA RANKED TEAMS: N/A
LOCATION: Hayden Park | Hillsdale, Mich.
THE TEAM SCOREBOARD
- Hillsdale – 20 points
- Wayne State – 57 points
- Spring Arbor – 72 points
- Mott Community College – 91 points
SPRING ARBOR TOP 7 RACE TIMES
- Daniel Garza (27:12 / 6th)
- Sam Comden (28:55 / 25th)
- Dylan Hamilton (29:34 / 29th)
- Jacob Hoppe (30:03 / 32nd)
- Ian Fulton (30:19 / 34th)
- Cameron Kyser (30:55 / 38th)
- Joshua Norton (31:30 / 41st)
- Hillsdale, which is ranked No. 11 in NCAA Division II, won the meet with 20 points. Wayne State followed with 57 and Spring Arbor came in third with 72. Mott Community College rounded out the field in fourth with 91 points.
- For the third straight race, Garza was SAU's top finisher, and for the third straight race, the senior from Dearborn, Michigan lowered his time – running a season-best 27:12.
- Two other Cougars also turned in season-best times. Sophomore Dylan Hamilton completed the 8k course in 29:34 while freshman Cameron Kyser crossed the finish line in 30:55.
- The Spring Arbor 1-5 split was 3:07, and the 1-7 split was 4:18. The Cougars' team time was 146:06.
- "Our men's team faired well yesterday at Hillsdale on a very challenging course. Though it is the slowest course the Cougars will see this season, three men had standout races - Daniel Garza, Dylan Hamilton and Cameron Kyser. Garza raced extremely well to finish sixth overall and clock a season-best of 27:12! Hamilton had an enormous lifetime PR which was amazing on such a difficult course. Kyser also bettered his lifetime PR with a very impressive finishing kick!"
- "All things considered, some of our Cougars stepped up big for their teammates that were having a tough day. I'm proud of the way SAU represented!"
Spring Arbor will travel to Muskegon, Michigan for the Jayhawk Invitational, hosted by Muskegon Community College, on Friday, Oct. 14.