MOUNT VERNON, Ohio – Sean Sommerville and Cameron Conley turned in top five finishes to lead the Spring Arbor University men's golf team to a third place team finish at the Mount Vernon Nazarene University Fall Cougar Classic over the weekend.
EVENT: Mount Vernon Nazarene Fall Cougar Classic
RESULT: Spring Arbor finishes 3rd of 7 teams
COURSE: Chapel Hill Golf Course | Mount Vernon, Ohio
THE TEAM SCOREBOARD (TOP 5 TEAMS)
- Mount Vernon Nazarene – 301-293-594
- Saint Francis – 308-292-600
- Spring Arbor – 303-303-606
- Ohio Christian – 307-315-622
- Indiana-Kokomo – 310-322-632
SPRING ARBOR SCORES
- Sean Sommerville – 75-71-146 (4th)
- Cameron Conley – 75-73-148 (5th)
- Connor Talbert – 78-81-159 (T23rd)
- Josh Haadsma – 75-84-159 (T23rd)
- David Harris – 84-78-162 (T28th)
- Taylor VanSolkema – 84-82-166 (37th)
- The Cougars shot back-to-back rounds of 303 – their lowest single round scores of the season – for a two-round total of 606.
- Mount Vernon Nazarene defended its home course, taking home the team title with a 594 (301-293), while the University of Saint Francis followed in second place with a 600 (308-292).
- Sommerville led the way for SAU with a fourth place finish. He carded a 75 in Friday's opening round before firing a one-under par 71 – matching his career-low round – on the final day for a 36-hole total of 146.
- Conley earned his second top five finish of the season after shooting a 148 to take fifth place overall. After beginning the tournament with a 75, he shot a season-low 73 over the final 18 holes.
- Josh Haadsma and David Harris also turned in a season-best performances. Haadsma shot a 75 in the first round while Harris carded a 78 in the second.
- Taylor VanSolkema matched his season-low round with an 82 on Saturday.
- Senior Connor Talbert closed out his career with the Cougars with rounds of 78 and 81 to finish 23rd overall with a 159.
QUOTES FROM HEAD COACH JACOB LEYRER
- "It was nice to finish the fall season with two strong tournaments. Also, it was nice to see Cam finish in the top five. It shows tremendous improvement. And, to see Sean finish with a 71 was very pleasing."
- "Senior Connor Talbert finished the last hole of his collegiate career on a high note, making birdie."
Spring Arbor finished the fall season and will resume action this spring.