MOUNT VERNON, Ohio – The Spring Arbor University women's golf team closed out the fall season with a record-setting weekend at the Mount Vernon Nazarene University Fall Cougar Classic. The Cougars smashed the previous program records for 18-hole and 36-hole team scores while also seeing the individual 18-hole and 36-hole records fall.
EVENT: Mount Vernon Nazarene Fall Cougar Classic
RESULT: Spring Arbor finishes 4th of 4 teams
COURSE: Chapel Hill Golf Course | Mount Vernon, Ohio
THE TEAM SCOREBOARD
- Grace – 322-314-636
- Mount Vernon Nazarene – 334-340-674
- Spring Arbor – 348-346-694
SPRING ARBOR SCORES
- Madison Waldie – 83-79-162 (7th)
- Morgan Urschalitz – 82-85-167 (11th)
- Brooke Brotzman – 87-95-182 (17th)
- Lauren Fuller – 96-91-187 (19th)
- Becca Snyder – 102-91-193 (20th)
- On the first day of the tournament, sophomore Morgan Urschalitz turned in the lowest 18-hole score in program history with her 82 breaking senior Majerle Slater's previous program all-time best score of 84.
- That record would not last long, however, as freshman Madison Waldie fired a 79 the following day to etch her name into the record book. Waldie, who would have owned the record herself after shooting an 83 through the first round, came back over the final 18 holes with the first score to break 80 in program history.
- Waldie also earned her second top 10 finish landing in seventh place following her record-setting 36-hole score of 162.
- Urschalitz followed in 11th place with a 167, which becomes the second-lowest 36-hole score at SAU.
- Fellow freshman Brooke Brotzman finished in 17th place with a 182 after shooting a season-low 87 in Friday's opening round.
- Lauren Fuller and Becca Snyder rounded out the Cougar contingent with scores of 187 and 193.
- As a team, the Cougars shot the two lowest rounds in program history with a 348 and 346, shattering the previous team best of 361. The team's 36-hole total of 694 also bettered the previous school record of 729.
- Grace College won the tournament with a 636.
- Marissa Singer of Saint Francis earned medalist honors with a 154 (74-80).
QUOTES FROM DIRECTOR OF GOLF JACOB LEYRER
- "This fall has been a transformation for the women's team. We have shown tremendous improvement as a team all season long. This weekend was a culmination of that hard work."
- "We set a new team 18 and 36 hole record. The individual 18 and 36 hole record was also broken both days."
- "We are excited to see what the spring holds for us."
Spring Arbor finished the fall season and will resume action this spring.