GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Spring Arbor University men's cross country team had its final tune-up before the Crossroads League Championship with the NAIA Great Lakes Challenge on Saturday at Riverside Park in Grand Rapids. In the field of 25 teams, including nine either ranked or receiving votes in the NAIA Top 25 Poll, the Cougars placed 16th.
EVENT: NAIA Great Lakes Challenge
TEAM FINISH: 16th/25
TOTAL NUMBER OF RUNNERS: 302
NAIA RANKED TEAMS: No. 5 Marian, No. 8 Taylor, No. 12 Aquinas, No. 15 Olivet Nazarene, No. 19 Cornerstone, No. 24 Shawnee State, #RV Bethel, #RV Madonna, #RV Indiana Wesleyan
LOCATION: Riverside Park | Grand Rapids, Mich.
THE TEAM SCOREBOARD (TOP 5 TEAMS)
- Marian – 77 points
- Shawnee State – 91 points
- Olivet Nazarene – 95 points
- Bethel – 162 points
- Cornerstone – 172 points
SPRING ARBOR TOP 7 RACE TIMES
- Daniel Garza (26:07 / 31st)
- Sam Comden (27:31 / 123rd)
- Ian Fulton (28:20 / 163rd)
- Jacob Hoppe (28:30 / 171st)
- Dylan Hamilton (28:41 / 189th)
- Logan Robart (28:50 / 195th)
- Joshua Norton (28:58 / 205th)
- Senior Daniel Garza posted a new career-best to pace the Cougars. Garza completed the 8k course in 26:07 to earn 31st place in a field of more than 300 competitors.
- Junior Joshua Norton also turned in a personal-best with a time of 28:58.
- Three Cougars ran season-best times, including Matthew Kovacic, Cameron Kyser and AJ Gruttadauro.
- All 10 Crossroads League teams were represented at the meet and SAU placed eighth among them.
- Marian University claimed the event's team title with 77 points and a team time of 2:08:55.
- The individual winner also came from the Crossroads League in Goshen College's Ryan Smith with a time of 25:03.
Spring Arbor will travel to Marion, Indiana on Saturday, Nov. 5 for the 2016 Crossroads League Championship.