|Grace (Ind.) 9-11, 1-7 CL||38||40||8||86|
|Spring Arbor (Mich.) 12-8, 4-4 CL||39||39||15||93|
|Jan. 14, 2017|
|Spring Arbor, MI|
|Grace (Ind.)||Indv. Leaders||Spring Arbor (Mich.)|
|#30 Logan Godfrey - 27||Points||#2 Caleb Hogans - 27|
|#30 Logan Godfrey - 12||Rebounds||#22 Thomas Starks - 15|
|#2 Braxton Linville - 7||Assists||#11 Paul Marandet - 4|
|Grace (Ind.)||Team Statistics||Spring Arbor (Mich.)|
|42.9% (30 - 70)||Field Goals %||44.9% (31 - 69)|
|38.9% (7 - 18)||3 Point Field Goals %||43.8% (7 - 16)|
|82.6% (19 - 23)||Free Throws||82.8% (24 - 29)|
|9||2nd Chance Pts||15|
SPRING ARBOR, Mich. – The Spring Arbor University men's basketball team rallied late to force overtime, then beat Grace College 93-86 in Crossroads League action Saturday.
Freshman Paul Marandet scored five points in the final minute of regulation to send the contest to an extra period. In the closing seconds of overtime, senior Thomas Starks scored on a putback before fellow senior Caleb Hogans converted an old-fashioned three-point play to help clinch the win.
FINAL SCORE: Spring Arbor 93, Grace 86
LOCATION: SAU Fieldhouse | Spring Arbor, Mich.
RECORDS: Spring Arbor 12-8 (4-4 CL), Grace 9-11 (1-7 CL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Spring Arbor opened the game with back-to-back three-pointers from Marandet and Hogans, but Grace would answer with eight straight points to grab the lead.
- The contest would continue to go back-and-forth all afternoon seeing 15 ties and 22 lead changes. Neither team led by more than seven points from start to finish.
- A putback lay-in by Kyle Bartholomew gave the Cougars a 39-38 lead at halftime.
- Grace earned its largest lead of the game with a 7-0 run midway through the second half. The Lancers' Stephen Halstead fueled the run with five points to put the visitors in front 64-57 at the 9:31 mark.
- Trailing by three with less than a minute on the clock, Marandet converted an and-one opportunity to even the score. Following a Grace basket, it was Marandet, once again, who drove to the basket and scored to knot the game at 78-78 and force overtime.
- After a big block by Zach Medendorp to preserve the tie, Tommy Hamilton gave SAU the lead for good with a pair of free throws at the 1:32 mark.
- Following another huge defensive stand, Starks and Hogans scored to help seal the victory.
FOR THE COUGARS
- Hogans dropped 27 points and dished out three assists to pace the Cougars. Hamilton followed with 17 points off the bench while Starks posted his second double-double of the season with 14 points and a season-high 15 rebounds. Marandet also finished with 14 points and a team-high four assists.
- Spring Arbor shot 45 percent (31-for-69) from the field and made a season-high 24 free throws. The Cougars also dominated the glass hauling in 48 rebounds compared to GC's 37.
- The win snapped a six-game losing streak to Grace. The last victory over the Lancers came on Jan. 8, 2014.
FOR THE LANCERS
- Logan Godfrey led Grace with 27 points and 12 rebounds for the double-double. Three other Lancers scored in double figures, including Halstead, who finished with 15 points.
- Grace shot 43 percent (30-for-70) on the afternoon.
Spring Arbor begins a stretch of three consecutive games against Top-15 ranked teams beginning with a home contest against No. 3 University of Saint Francis on Tuesday, Jan. 17 at 7 p.m.