UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – The Spring Arbor University men's and women's track and field teams kicked off the 2017 calendar year at the Saginaw Valley State University Classic with three program Top 10 performances and several personal-best marks.
EVENT: SVSU Classic
TEAM FINISH: No team scoring
LOCATION: SVSU Fieldhouse | University Center, Mich.
- Sophomore Joshua Smith captured an event win in the 60 meter hurdles with his 8.32. Smith has already qualified for the NAIA indoor national championships and currently ranks first in the country in the event.
- Smith also ran a person-best 23.24 in the 200 meter dash, which earned him fifth place in the race.
- Austin Hickerson earned a second place finish in the 400 meter dash with a time of 50.52, and an eighth place finish in the 200 with a 23.45.
- In the 3000 meter run, senior Daniel Garza turned in a 9:08.97 to take fifth out of 23 runners.
- The 4x400 meter relay team, comprised of Kevin Smith, Joshua Smith, Mitch Hession and Austin Hickerson, finished third with a time of 3:29.64.
- Junior Kevin Smith took second in the long jump with a leap of 22-0.75 (6.72 meters).
- Sophomore Jaydn Fuerst moved into the SAU Top 10 List in two events with her performance on Saturday. Fuerst finished fifth in the 400 with a time of 1:01.27, which ranks fourth in the SAU record book. She clocked in at 27.50 in the 200 to take eighth while her time was good enough for ninth place in the program's all-time performance list.
- Freshman Savanna Justice also etched her name in the Top 10 List with her effort in the weight throw. She now stands seventh in program history in the event with a mark of 32-7.75 (9.95 meters).
- The Cougars posted one more PR in the 400 and five in the 200. Sophomore Kayla Kilgore placed eighth with a 1:04.47 in the 400 while Shekinah Johnson (28.04), Katie Rutkowski (28.69), Michaela Lewis (29.18), Kiersten Spiller (30.03) and Kayla Olewinski (30.35) recorded personal-bests in the 200.
- In the 3000, sophomore Caitlin Clark and junior Victoria Harper placed second and third, respectively. Clark finished with a time of 10:51.73 and Harper was close behind with an 11:01.18.
- Highlighting the field events was sophomore Katrina Tovar with a second place finish in the long jump and a third place finish in the pole vault. Tovar hit a distance of 16-2.50 (4.94 meters) in the long jump and cleared 11-5.25 (3.49 meters) in the pole vault.
- Ashlee Bartlett and Courtney Sandford posted personal-bests in the shot put. Bartlett recorded a 30-9 (9.37 meters) and Sandford had a 26-11 (8.20 meters).
Spring Arbor will compete at the Aquinas College Quad-Meet on Friday, Jan. 20 starting at 5 p.m.