GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – Senior Austin Hundley shattered his own school record in the weight throw as the Spring Arbor University men's and women's track and field teams competed at the Aquinas College Quad Meet on Friday.
EVENT: Aquinas Quad Meet
TEAM FINISH: No team scoring
LOCATION: Alksnis Athletic and Recreation Building | Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Hundley, who had already broken his own school record once this season, established a new all-time best mark for SAU in the event with his throw of 48-10.75 (14.90 meters).
- Junior Kevin Smith brought home two first place finishes for the Cougars in the long jump and the triple jump. Smith hit a mark of 22-3.50 (6.79 meters) in the long jump and leapt 41-11.50 (12.79 meters) in the triple jump.
- On the track, Austin Hickerson qualified for the 60 meter dash finals, where he would take seventh with a time of 7.48.
- Logan Robart led the Cougars in the mile run with a time of 4:42.73. Freshman Cameron Kyser finished second in his section of the mile run, crossing the finish line in 4:51.37 while sophomore Dylan Hamilton was close behind with a 4:55.32.
- Robart also paced SAU in the 1000 meter run posting a 2:48.40.
- Senior Mitch Hession ran a 9.12 in the 60 meter hurdles.
- In the 3000 meter run, senior Daniel Garza earned a second place finish with a time of 9:15.96. Fellow senior Sam Comden finished fifth with a 9:53.94.
- Freshman Chynna Biggs smashed her personal-best with a 9.53 in the 60 hurdles. Her time ranks as the third-best performance in the event in program history.
- Sophomore Michaela Lewis also reached the finals in the 60 dash where she posted a time of 8.48.
- Fresh off a career-best performance in the 400 meter dash last week, sophomore Jaydn Fuerst led the Cougars again with a 1:01.55 – 0.28 seconds off her PR. Katie Rutkowski and Kayla Kilgore finished one-two in their section of the race with times of 1:05.02 and 1:05.12, respectively.
- Senior Danielle Anderson grabbed third in the 1000, competing the race in 3:24.38.
- Spring Arbor claimed the top three spots in the 3000 meter run. Sophomore Caitlin Clark captured the event win with a time of 10:44.93. Junior Victoria Harper and freshman Kelli Smith followed in 10:59.62 and 11:03.60.
- In the field events, Katrina Tovar earned third place finishes in the pole vault (11-5.00, 3.48m), long jump (17-0.00, 5.18m) and triple jump (35-3.00, 10.74m).
- Leslie Tanis posted SAU's top marks in the shot put and weight throw. Tanis hit a distance of 34-9.75 (10.61m) in the shot put and 39-5.25 (12.02m) in the weight throw. Junior Shoshannah Smith recorded a new career-best in the weight throw with a mark of 34-4.25 (10.47m), which currently ranks fifth on the program's all-time performance list.
The Cougars will return to action at the Hillsdale College Wide Track Classic on Feb. 3-4.