|Huntington (Ind.) 12-11, 6-6 CL||15||19||12||17||63|
|Spring Arbor (Mich.) 11-13, 2-10 CL||18||10||24||10||62|
|Jan. 28, 2017|
|Spring Arbor, MI|
|Huntington (Ind.)||Indv. Leaders||Spring Arbor (Mich.)|
|#2 Miranda Palmer - 28||Points||#21 Kylie Townsley - 22|
|#32 Brooke Saylor - 10||Rebounds||#34 Rachel Driesenga - 11|
|#2 Miranda Palmer - 4||Assists||3 Players - 2|
|Huntington (Ind.)||Team Statistics||Spring Arbor (Mich.)|
|42.6% (26 - 61)||Field Goals %||35.6% (21 - 59)|
|38.9% (7 - 18)||3 Point Field Goals %||35.7% (5 - 14)|
|57.1% (4 - 7)||Free Throws||71.4% (15 - 21)|
|12||2nd Chance Pts||17|
SPRING ARBOR, Mich. – A basket from Kylie Townsley gave the Spring Arbor University women's basketball team a one-point lead over Huntington University with eight seconds left in regulation. However, Miranda Palmer delivered a game-winner with three seconds left to lift the Foresters over the Cougars 63-62 on Saturday.
FINAL SCORE: Spring Arbor 62, Huntington 63
LOCATION: SAU Fieldhouse | Spring Arbor, Mich.
RECORDS: Spring Arbor 11-13 (2-10 CL), Huntington 12-11 (6-6 CL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Spring Arbor led Huntington 18-15 after the first quarter, but the Foresters, who rank fourth in the NAIA in field goal percentage, began to heat up in the second quarter. The visitors shot over 57 percent in the frame on their way to taking a 34-28 lead into halftime.
- The Cougars responded, however, with a huge third quarter, outscoring the Foresters 24-12. SAU got eight points in the period from Kylie Townsley while Rachel Driesenga added seven. After battling back to tie the score at 43-43, Spring Arbor closed the quarter on a 9-3 run to grab a 52-46 advantage heading to the fourth quarter. Faith Johnson capped the run with a jumper that just beat the buzzer.
- Spring Arbor struggled from the field over the final 10 minutes as Huntington held the Cougars to 3-for-20 shooting in the period. Despite the lack of production on the offensive end, SAU fought off the charging Foresters with strong defense and good free throw shooting.
- With less than two minutes to play, Huntington regained the lead for the first time since the 3:23 mark in the third quarter, but the Cougars responded as Townsley hit a go-ahead jumper with eight seconds remaining.
- Following the bucket from Palmer that put HU back on top, and SAU had one more chance but the shot came up empty.
FOR THE COUGARS
- Townsley finished with 22 points and Autumn Goggin had 15. Driesenga posted a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds while also adding three steals and two blocks.
- Spring Arbor shot 36 percent (21-for-59) on the afternoon.
- The Cougars out-rebounded the Foresters 42-36.
FOR THE FORESTERS
- Palmer had 28 points to lead Huntington. Allyson Trout added 12 and Brooke Saylor recorded a double-double with 10 points and 10 boards.
- The Foresters hit 43 percent (26-for-61) of their shots.
- Huntington outscored SAU 23-12 off turnovers.
The Cougars will look to bounce back when they take on Mount Vernon Nazarene University (9-15, 3-9 CL) at home on Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 7 p.m.