|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh 9-16, 3-10 CL||6||16||16||19||3||60|
|Spring Arbor (Mich.) 12-13, 3-10 CL||8||16||15||18||16||73|
|Feb. 1, 2017|
|Spring Arbor, MI|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||Indv. Leaders||Spring Arbor (Mich.)|
|#1 Kaela Seiler - 16||Points||#21 Kylie Townsley - 22|
|#50 Megan Beidelman - 18||Rebounds||#34 Rachel Driesenga - 13|
|#12 Dani Ellerbrock - 4||Assists||#3 Karly Bender - 5|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||Team Statistics||Spring Arbor (Mich.)|
|33.8% (23 - 68)||Field Goals %||36.5% (23 - 63)|
|25% (4 - 16)||3 Point Field Goals %||41.7% (5 - 12)|
|71.4% (10 - 14)||Free Throws||88% (22 - 25)|
|11||2nd Chance Pts||6|
SPRING ARBOR, Mich. – Down 57-54 in the closing seconds, junior Autumn Goggin delivered a clutch three-pointer to force overtime. In the extra period, the Spring Arbor University women's basketball team would outscore Mount Vernon Nazarene University 16-3 to earn a 73-60 win Wednesday night.
FINAL SCORE: Spring Arbor 73, Mount Vernon Nazarene 60
LOCATION: SAU Fieldhouse | Spring Arbor, Mich.
RECORDS: Spring Arbor 12-13 (3-10 CL), Mount Vernon Nazarene 9-16 (3-10 CL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Spring Arbor and Mount Vernon Nazarene exchanged the lead 12 different times throughout the game with no team ever leading by more than six until the overtime period.
- Two free throws from Rachel Driesenga put SAU on top 39-33 at the 3:44 mark in the third quarter, but Mount Vernon Nazarene closed out the period with five straight points to trim the deficit to one.
- The two teams went back and forth in the fourth quarter trading baskets. A quick 4-0 run by MVNU gave the visitors a 54-52 advantage with 1:03 remaining in regulation. However, Goggin answered with a layup to even the score.
- Following three free throws from MVNU, Goggin buried a step-back three-pointer from the top of the arc with 24 seconds left to force overtime.
- The Cougars scored the first six points in the extra session and never looked back. Kylie Townsley tallied nine points in overtime to help put away Mount Vernon Nazarene.
FOR THE COUGARS
- Townsley finished with a game-high 22 points while also recording nine rebounds and three steals. Goggin added 18 points and Rachel Nelson followed with 14. Driesenga chipped in eight points to go along with 13 rebounds. Karly Bender dished out five assists and had three steals.
- Spring Arbor shot 37 percent (23-for-63) on the night, including a perfect 3-for-3 from the field in overtime while also going 9-for-10 from the charity stripe in the overtime session. The Cougars matched their season-high with 22 free throws made.
FOR MOUNT VERNON NAZARENE
- Megan Beidelman registered a double-double with 15 points and 18 rebounds. Kaela Seiler totaled 16 points and Sierra Basista finished with 13.
- Mount Vernon Nazarene connected on 34 percent (23-for-68) of its field goal attempts.
Spring Arbor will travel to Indianapolis to take on the defending national champions, and No. 5 ranked, Marian University Knights (22-3, 12-1 CL) on Saturday, Feb. 4 at 1 p.m.