HILLSDALE, Mich. – The Spring Arbor University track and field teams returned to action on Friday and Saturday, competing in the Hillsdale College Wide Track Classic. The meet several of the country's top teams, including perennial NAIA powerhouse Indiana Tech, as well as NCAA Division II teams Grand Valley State University, Lincoln University (Mo.) and Bellarmine University (Ky.).
EVENT: Hillsdale Wide Track Classic
TEAM FINISH: No team scoring
LOCATION: Margot V. Biermann Athletic Center | Hillsdale, Mich.
- On day one of the two day event, Daniel Garza took fifth place in the 5000 meter run championship with a time of 16:15.47. Sam Comden finished 12th in 17:08.72 and Jacob Hoppe was right behind in 17:23.49.
- Mitch Hession posted a season-best time in the 60 meter hurdles as he crossed the finish line in 9.11.
- In the field events, Jaccob Colosky set a new personal-best with a 31-9.50 (9.69m) in the weight throw. The mark also ranks second in school history. Kevin Smith earned an eighth place finish in the long jump with a leap of 22-0.25 (6.71m).
- The Cougars saw several PR's set on day two of the meet. Logan Robart posted a 1:27.05 in the 600 meter run and Dylan Hamilton ran a 2:16.00 in the 800 meter run. SAU saw two more career-bests in the mile run from Ian Fulton and Joshua Norton with times of 4:43.97 and 4:59.31, respectively.
- In the 400 meter dash, Austin Hickerson finished eighth out of 37 athletes with a time of 51.50.
- Colosky continued his great weekend with another personal-best, this time in the shot put. His heave of 38-11.00 (11.86m) also ranks as the 10th best mark in program history.
- Michaela Lewis and Kiersten Spiller registered career-bests in the 60 meter dash. Lewis ran an 8.40 – which ranks 10th in program history – while Spiller turned in an 8.52.
- Shekinah Johnson also posted a PR in the 200 meter dash. Johnson finished the race in 27.60, which is the 10th-fastest performance in SAU history.
- In the 3000 meter run championship, Caitlin Clark finished in 10th place with a 10:48.45.
- Victoria Harper and Kelli Smith both finished in the top-10 in the 3000. Harper completed the race in 10:46.68 to grab second place and Smith finished eighth in 11:10.59. Jennifer Coffell ran a personal-best 11:32.99.
- The Cougars saw four PR's in the field events on day one. Liz Brueggeman hit 16-1.00 (4.90m) in the long jump, which ranks 10th all-time at SAU. In the weight throw, Rachel Coon, Shoshannah Smith and Lauren Hamilton made their marks on the record book. Coon posted a 36-2.25 (11.03m), Smith a 35-10.50 (10.93m) and Hamilton a 31-3.75 (9.54m).
- Day two featured several more personal-bests. In the 400, Johnson ran a 1:02.73 and Megan Wise turned in a 1:05.54. Emily Murray completed the 800 meter run in 3:19.07. Jones and Hannah Hoffmann ran career-bests in the mile. Jones finished in 5:44.56 and Hoffmann in 5:49.74.
- Jaydn Fuerst earned sixth place in the 600 meter run in 1:45.19.
- In the shot put, Sarah Sixberry notched the eighth-best mark in program history in the shot put with her heave of 34-3.50 (10.45m)
Spring Arbor will compete at the Trojan Invite, hosted by Taylor University, on Saturday, Feb. 11 in Upland, Indiana.
STAY CONNECTED: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
DOWNLOAD OUR APPS: iOS (iPhone/iPad) | Android