|Bethel (Ind.) 9-18, 6-9 CL||13||20||8||22||63|
|Spring Arbor (Mich.) 12-15, 3-12 CL||7||11||15||27||60|
|Feb. 8, 2017|
|Spring Arbor, MI|
|Bethel (Ind.)||Indv. Leaders||Spring Arbor (Mich.)|
|#34 Savannah Bley - 17||Points||#21 Kylie Townsley - 23|
|2 Players (#32,#34) - 12||Rebounds||#34 Rachel Driesenga - 8|
|#32 Macie Hinen - 3||Assists||#3 Karly Bender - 4|
|Bethel (Ind.)||Team Statistics||Spring Arbor (Mich.)|
|43.4% (23 - 53)||Field Goals %||35.9% (23 - 64)|
|28.6% (2 - 7)||3 Point Field Goals %||16.7% (3 - 18)|
|83.3% (15 - 18)||Free Throws||73.3% (11 - 15)|
|3||2nd Chance Pts||13|
SPRING ARBOR, Mich. – The Spring Arbor University women's basketball team erased a 17-point first half deficit with a furious second half rally against Bethel College on Wednesday night, but ultimately fell to the Pilots 63-60.
FINAL SCORE: Spring Arbor 60, Bethel 63
LOCATION: SAU Fieldhouse | Spring Arbor, Mich.
RECORDS: Spring Arbor 12-15 (3-12 CL), Bethel 9-18 (6-9 CL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bethel charged out to a 13-3 lead to start the contest and would never trail.
- A late second quarter run gave the Pilots their largest lead of the game at 17, 33-16. However, Kylie Townsley knocked down a jumper in the final seconds of the period to cut the deficit to 15 heading into halftime.
- After shooting just 26 percent in the first half, the Cougars opened the third quarter red-hot hitting five of their first six shots during a 13-0 run to begin the period. Karly Bender got the run started with a pair of free throws and then Kylie Townsley scored seven straight points, including a big three-pointer. Autumn Goggin and Rachel Nelson capped the run with back-to-back jumpers as SAU closed the gap to two, 33-31.
- Bethel regrouped and managed to build its lead back to nine, but another lengthy run by Spring Arbor in the fourth quarter evened the score at 43-43 with 6:37 remaining.
- With four seconds left, the Pilots sank two free throws to pull ahead by three. The Cougars had one last chance at a game-tying shot, but Nelson's attempt at the buzzer was blocked.
FOR THE COUGARS
- Townsley posted a game-high 23 points along with five rebounds and four steals. Nelson followed with 13 points, including 11 in the fourth quarter alone. Aimee Konkel chipped in eight points and Goggin finished with six. Rachel Driesenga had five points, two blocks and eight boards.
- Spring Arbor ended the night shooting 36 percent (23-for-64) from the field. The Cougars struggled from the three-point line going 3-for-18.
- SAU forced Bethel into 20 turnovers.
FOR THE PILOTS
- Bethel was led by Savannah Bley, who finished with 17 points and 12 rebounds. Madison Schrock and Kamala Elsasser added 13 and 12 points, respectively.
- The Pilots shot 43 percent (23-for-53) and out-rebounded SAU 41-33.
Spring Arbor will travel to Grace College (14-13, 9-6 CL) on Saturday, Feb. 11. The game is slated to tip off at 1 p.m.