UPLAND, Ind. – The Spring Arbor University track and field teams competed at the Grand Valley State University Big Meet and the Taylor University Trojan Invitational. The Cougars saw two more athletes punch their tickets to the NAIA national championships in juniors Victoria Harper and Bethany Kuenzer.
EVENT: GVSU Big Meet & Trojan Invitational
TEAM FINISH: No team scoring
LOCATION: Allendale, Mich. & Upland, Ind.
- Senior Daniel Garza was the lone Cougar on the men's side competing at the GVSU Big Meet. Garza turned in a lifetime-best in the 5000 meter run, crossing the finish line in 15:37.10 – which ranks 10th all-time in program history.
- Spring Arbor saw several new PR's set at the Trojan Invitational, including one by senior Mitch Hession in the 60 meter hurdles. In the event finals, Hession ran an 8.70 to take sixth place. His time currently ranks third on the program's top 10 performance list.
- Alex Lodes finished fifth in the 60 meter dash with a time of 7.09.
- In the 200 meter dash, Lodes earned fourth place with a 22.89 while Austin Hickerson was right behind him in fifth with a 23.20. Hickerson would also take fifth in the 400 meter dash with a 51.79.
- Logan Robart grabbed second place in the 1000 meter run, completing the race in 2:39.99.
- In the field events, junior Kevin Smith earned second place in the long jump with a leap of 22' 5.25" (6.84m). Senior Austin Hundley finished seventh in the weight throw. Hundley hit a mark of 46' 11.5" (14.31m).
- Harper and Kuenzer highlighted the action on the women's side. Harper ran an 18:25.70 in the 5000 meter run at the GVSU Big Meet to hit the NAIA B standard. Kuenzer hit the NAIA A standard at the Trojan Invitational after clearing 11' 9.75" (3.60m) in the pole vault.
- Sophomore Katrina Tovar also cleared 11' 9.75" in the pole vault. Both, Tovar and Kuenzer, are currently ranked seventh nationally in the event.
- Sophomore Shekinah Johnson posted two SAU Top 10 performances on Saturday. Johnson ran a 27.50 in the 200 and a 1:02.48 in the 400.
- Freshman Chynn Biggs turned in the third-fastest performance in program history in the 60 hurdles. Biggs beat her previous best by .01 seconds running a 9.52 to earn fifth place in the event.
- In the 600 meter run, Lydia Haavisto finished fourth with a personal-best time of 1:50.01. Mackenzy Kasper grabbed fifth in the 1000, crossing the finish line in 3:40.24.
- Danielle Anderson and Jennifer Coffell took fourth and fifth, respectively, in the mile. Anderson clocked in at 5:36.31 while Coffell ran a PR of 5:37.95.
- Senior Hannah Hoffmann earned first place in the 5000 with a career-best time of 19:47.89.
- The field events saw two more program Top 10 bests from Savanna Justice and Sarah Sixberry in the weight throw. Justice recorded the seventh-best mark in SAU history hitting 35' 1.75" (10.71m) while Sixberry registered a 31' 2" (9.50m), which ranks 10th.
- Tovar finished third in the long jump with a leap of 16' 9.75" (5.12m).
Spring Arbor returns to action on Feb. 17-18 at the Crossroads League Invitational, hosted by Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, Indiana.