SPRING ARBOR, Mich. – The Spring Arbor University baseball team dropped a pair of close games on Saturday to Bethel College at Hank Burbridge Field. The Cougars fell 6-5 in eight innings in game one and 4-3 in eight innings in game two.
SCORES: Spring Arbor 5, Bethel 6;
Spring Arbor 3, Bethel 4
LOCATION: Hank Burbridge Field | Spring Arbor, Mich.
RECORDS: Spring Arbor 16-23 (9-10 CL), Bethel 17-14 (7-12 CL)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Tyler Reed put Spring Arbor on top early in game one with an RBI double in the top of the first inning.
- Bethel responded with four runs in the second and one run in the third to grab a 5-1 lead.
- BC's Jared Laurent shut down the Cougars through much of the first four innings, but SAU erupted for four runs in the fifth to tie the score. Alex Holley started the rally with a double down the left field line. He would score on a base hit by Chris Triplett. Later in the frame, Jack Driscoll ripped a double to left-center to plate Francisco Ondina. Reed capped the scoring with a two-run bomb to right.
- Bethel threated in the seventh putting the go-ahead run in scoring position. However, Joe Romence escaped the jam with the help of a spectacular diving stop by shortstop Nick Harris, which started an inning-ending double play.
- With the score still tied at 5-5 in the eighth, the Pilots used a double from Brandon Diss to drive in the game-winning run.
- Reed went for 2-for-4 with three RBI. His home run was his seventh of the season. Triplett also recorded two hits with a run scored and an RBI.
- Romence was outstanding out of the bullpen pitching four-plus innings of scoreless relief before surrendering a run in the eighth. He allowed just three hits while striking out five batters.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- After falling behind 1-0 in the top of the second inning, Spring Arbor answered in the home half of the frame. James Hall drew a two-out walk to get things started, and two batters later, would cross the plate on a base hit by Triplett.
- The Cougars took the lead the very next inning on an RBI double by Nick Harris, and added to their advantage with another run in the fourth.
- Bethel took advantage of an SAU error in the fifth inning to score two runs to even the score at 3-3.
- Both teams would strand the potential winning run in their half of the seventh inning, sending the game to extras.
- The Pilots scored the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly in the eighth inning, and Austin Branock would retire SAU in order in the bottom of the frame to give BC the game and series victory.
- Reed continued his torrid stretch going 2-for-2. Over the last seven games, he is batting .609 (14-for-23) with four homers and 13 RBI. Triplett was also perfect at the plate going 3-for-3 with a double and two RBI.
- Freshman Andrew Manier turned in seven solid innings of work allowing just one earned run and scattering six hits while fanning four.
Spring Arbor will host Grace College (13-23-1, 5-14 CL) on Monday, Apr. 17 at 3 p.m. before playing its next five games on the road.
STAY CONNECTED: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
DOWNLOAD OUR APPS: iOS (iPhone/iPad) | Android