UPLAND, Ind. – The 2017 Crossroads League Track & Field Championships, hosted by Taylor University, came to a close on Saturday with the Spring Arbor University women's team earning a fourth place finish and the men placing eighth. The women's squad racked up 90.5 points while the men posted 28.
The women's team's 90.5 points were the most since by the team since the 2013 league meet. The Cougars recorded eight All-Crossroads League performances, including one League champion as Katrina Tovar captured the event win in the triple jump.
Two members of the men's team earned All-League honors, bringing the total to 10 total for the Cougars.
EVENT: Crossroads League Track & Field Championships
TEAM STANDINGS: Men 8th/10; Women 4th/10
LOCATION: Taylor University | Upland, Ind.
ALL-CROSSROADS LEAGUE PERFORMERS (TOP 3 FINISHERS IN EACH EVENT)
- Katrina Tovar – Long Jump
- Jaydn Fuerst – 400 meter dash
- Victoria Harper – 5000 meter run
- Bethany Kuenzer – Pole Vault
- Katrina Tovar – Triple Jump
- Liz Brueggeman – Triple Jump
- Kevin Smith – Triple Jump
- Bethany Kuenzer – 100 meter hurdles
- Caitlin Clark – 10,000 meter run
- Daniel Garza – 10,000 meter run
- Senior Austin Hundley closed out his outstanding career on a high note with a record-breaking heave in the hammer throw. Hundley topped his own school record after hitting a distance of 132' 8". He would finish in 11th place in the event.
- On the track, Austin Hickerson narrowly missed earning All-League honors, finishing in fourth place in the 400 meter dash with a career-best time of 49.06, which ranks second in program history. Hickerson would also earn points for SAU in the 200 meter dash posting an eighth place finish in 22.53.
- Kevin Smith landed in grabbed seventh in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 58.28 while Mitch Hession earned eighth in the 110 meter hurdles with a 16.64.
- The 4x400 meter relay team, comprised of Smith, Kenan Swihart, Jeremy Goodson and Hickerson, placed seventh, completing the race in 3:29.41.
- Fresh off her record-setting performance in the pole vault on Friday, Bethany Kuenzer earned her second All-League honor with her third place finish in the 100 meter hurdles, running a 15.92.
- Jaydn Fuerst posted a career-best time of 59.46 in the 400 to grab second place and All-League honors. Her time was the third-best in SAU history.
- The Cougars saw another second place effort in the 5000 meter run as Victoria Harper just missed winning the event. Harper crossed the finish line in 18:24.50.
- The relay teams also earned points for the Cougars. The 4x400 team of Kayla Kilgore, Shekinah Johnson, Megan Wise and Fuerst finished in fourth place with a time of 4:13.12. The 4x100 team of Jessica VanHeuvelen, Ally Jackson, Michaela Lewis and Mycah Ridder came in sixth, posting a time of 52.10.
- Ryann Laier's performance in the javelin highlighted the field events. Laier placed sixth with a career-best mark of 107' 6", which ranks fifth on the SAU Top 10 list.
Spring Arbor will wrap up its regular season at the Hillsdale Classic on Thursday, May 11 before setting its sights on the NAIA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships in Gulf Shores, Alabama on May 25-27.