HILLSDALE, Mich. – The Spring Arbor University track and field teams competed in their final regular season meet Thursday at the Hillsdale College Last Chance Classic.
No team scores were kept, but the meet served as an opportunity for athletes from more than a dozen schools to get qualifying times and marks for the NAIA championships later this month.
EVENT: Hillsdale Last Chance Classic
TEAM STANDINGS: No team scoring
LOCATION: Hillsdale College | Hillsdale, Mich.
- Austin Hickerson turned in a career-best performance in the 400 meter dash with a time of 48.95 to finish fourth in the event. The time narrowly missed the NAIA B standard (48.50) and was just shy of the SAU program record (48.64).
- Kevin Smith participated in four events of the decathlon, highlighted by second place finishes in the 100 meter dash (11.44) and long jump (21' 11.00").
- Two Cougars ran unattached in the 3000 meter steeplechase. Jacob Hoppe completed the race in 10:52.26 followed by Mitch Hession in 12:41.25. Head women's track and field coach Bryan Burk also competed in the event and clocked in at 10:41.01.
- Katrina Tovar competed in both the pole vault and triple jump. Tovar placed second in the pole vault after clearing 11' 9.25" (3.59m). She would earn fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 35' 7.75" (10.86m).
- The Cougars also had two athletes race unattached in the steeplechase. Jennifer Coffell posted the second-fastest time in school history, crossing the finish line in 12:30.05, while Diana Dvorak finished in 13:17.98 – the sixth-best performance all-time at SAU.
Spring Arbor will compete in the 2017 NAIA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships. The championships run from May 25-27 in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Seven Cougars have qualified for the event:
- AJ Gruttadauro (5000 meter race walk)
- Bethany Kuenzer (pole vault)
- Katrina Tovar (pole vault)
- Kevin Smith (long jump / decathlon)
- Daniel Garza (marathon)
- Caitlin Clark (marathon)
- Hannah Hoffmann (marathon)