|Spring Arbor (Mich.) (1-0-0)||2||2||4|
|Trinity International (Il (0-1-0)||1||0||1|
|1||01:05||Morris Kamara (Spring Arbor (Mich.))|
|1||04:03||Morris Kamara (Spring Arbor (Mich.))|
|1||08:24||Francesco De Felice (Trinity International (Il)|
|2||66:58||Lewis Jones (Spring Arbor (Mich.))|
|2||70:08||Morris Kamara (Spring Arbor (Mich.))|
|Spring Arbor (Mich.)||Indv. Leaders||Trinity International (Il|
|#15 Morris Kamara - 3||Goals||#7 Francesco De Felice - 1|
|#2 Stephen Gabriele - 2||Assists||None|
|#15 Morris Kamara - 6||Shots||#7 Francesco De Felice - 3|
|#1 Isiah Handspike - 2||Saves||#1 Jared Yonke - 5|
|Spring Arbor (Mich.)||Team Statistics||Trinity International (Il|
|16 (10)||Shots (on goal)||5 (3)|
DEERFIELD, Ill. – Spring Arbor University junior Morris Kamara started the 2017 campaign in memorable fashion as he recorded a hat trick in the Cougars' 4-1 season-opening win over Trinity International University on Saturday.
FINAL SCORE: #14 Spring Arbor 4, Trinity International 1
LOCATION: Deerfield, Ill.
RECORDS: Spring Arbor 1-0-0, Trinity International 0-1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- There were plenty of fireworks early in the season opener as the two sides combined for three goals in the first nine minutes.
- Spring Arbor wasted little time getting the scoring started. Just over a minute into the contest, Stephen Gabrielle found Kamara for the first goal of the afternoon. Less than three minutes later, Kamara slotted a shot past the Trinity International goalkeeper for his second tally.
- In the ninth minute, the Trojans were awarded a penalty kick and Francesco De Felice made it count to cut the deficit in half.
- The home team had a chance to even the score just before halftime, but sophomore keeper Isiah Handspike made a great save to preserve the lead.
- The Cougars put the match away with a goal by Lewis Jones in the 67th minute, and Kamara completed the hat trick in the 71st minute.
- Gabrielle finished with two assists while Cory Swartzendruber added one. Handspike finished with two saves.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- With the win, the Cougars are 5-0-0 in season openers under head coach Nathan Miller.
- Kamara recorded his first career hat trick.
FOR THE TROJANS
- Trinity International finished the match with five shots, including three from De Felice.
- Goalkeeper Jared Yonke recorded five saves.
QUOTES FROM HEAD COACH NATHAN MILLER
- "I'm really happy with the guys on how they kept a very high level of intensity throughout the match. They really never let up. Mo was spectacular and we also had great performances from our bench."
- "There is still so much to work on and improve, but we can definitely build on this and see what we can do better after analyzing in more depth."
- "I really liked how our vertical possession improved throughout the match and our pressing was very compact and intense."
- "We are excited for this next week to get back to work and attack a long road trip!"
Spring Arbor will travel to Chicago, Illinois for the Trinity Invitational, hosted by Trinity Christian College, on Saturday, Aug. 26 and Monday, Aug. 28. The Cougars will play No. 5 West Virginia Tech on Saturday and host Trinity Christian on Monday.