MARION, Ind. – The Spring Arbor University women's cross country team earned a third place finish on Friday night at the season-opening IWU Twilight Classic, hosted by Indiana Wesleyan University.
EVENT: IWU Twilight Classic
TEAM FINISH: 3rd/9
TOTAL NUMBER OF RUNNERS: 115
NAIA RANKED TEAMS: No. 14 Taylor, No. 19 Indiana Wesleyan
LOCATION: Indiana Wesleyan University | Marion, Ind.
THE TEAM SCOREBOARD (TOP 5 TEAMS)
- Taylor – 32 points
- Indiana Wesleyan – 83 points
- Spring Arbor – 91 points
- Ohio Christian – 110 points
- Goshen – 153 points
SPRING ARBOR TOP 7 RACE TIMES
- Jasmine Harper (18:42 / 6th)
- Victoria Harper (19:11 / 12th)
- Caitlin Clark (19:13 / 13th)
- Megan Jones (20:40 / 41st)
- Jaydn Fuerst (20:53 / 48th)
- Kyria Shoemaker (21:10 / 53rd)
- Katie Rutkowski (21:13 / 58th)
- Spring Arbor placed third out of nine teams, trailing only Taylor University and Indiana Wesleyan University – both of which are ranked in the NAIA Top 25 Poll. The Cougars were only eight points behind the Wildcats for second place.
- In her collegiate debut, freshman Jasmine Harper turned in the 13th-best performance in program history with a time of 18:42. She would lead the Cougars with a sixth place finish in a field of 115 runners.
- Senior Victoria Harper and junior Caitlin Clark followed in 12th and 13th with times of 19:11 and 19:13, respectively.
- Spring Arbor's team time was 1:38:40 – topping their time of 1:41:09 at the same course a year ago.
QUOTES FROM HEAD COACH BRYAN BURK
- "Great day for the Lady Cougars today in our opener at IWU! We have a very strong top three runners, who looked good today. This was backed by a strong chase pack who worked together very well."
- "We sent the girls out at a conservative pace, so I know they have a lot of improvement that can be made quickly. We have a very strong team of competitors who are going to start to capitalize in the later races. Having three strong front runners will also help us a lot in the bigger races to keep our points to a minimum."
- "Overall, I could not be more proud of the ladies today! We are praising God for how they ran for each other and fought with great bravery from start to finish. They will go far because of their tight bonds and drive to better each other every day."
Spring Arbor will compete at the Marian Cross Country Invite, hosted by Marian University, on Friday, Sept. 15. The race will take place at Northview Church in Carmel, Indiana, which is also the site of this year's Crossroads League Championship.